Pages

08 September 2009

A Further Note on Lithium Use and Hypothyroidism

Guyol, Gracelyn (2006). Healing depression & bipolar disorder without drugs: inspiring stories of restoring mental health through natural remedies.

"Finally diagnosed as bipolar, Nicole was already thirty pounds overweight before lithium therapy added close to fifty pounds in two months. 'You're not supposed to take lithium if you have thyroid problems, which I do . . . "

This is one of the inspiring stories of restoring mental health through natural remedies, so I thought I'd do some research.
I read this article (Lithium Risks: Thyroid, Kidney, and Weight Gain Problems. (n.d.). Retrieved September 9, 2009, from http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/meds/LithiumRisks.htm), and skimmed through others, and it seems that lithium can cause hypothyroidism; what the risks are for taking it if you already are hypothyroid are so far unclear, however, suffice it to say that I don't think I'll be taking any more supplements (except multivitamin types) until I can get a diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hi, leave a note. I'd love to hear from you!